From OpenEMR Project Wiki
The Direct Project is a simple, secure, scalable, standards-based way for participants to send authenticated, encrypted health information directly to known, trusted recipients over the Internet. More information on Direct can be found here: http://www.healthit.gov/policy-researchers-implementers/direct-project
- This service enables Direct messaging functionality integrated directly into OpenEMR. Users can send clinical data and receive Direct messages, with or without attachments. OpenEMR communicates with an EMR Direct phiMail Direct messaging server to complete the transactions. The phiMail server back end is used by over 40 EHR vendors to add Direct messaging support to their products and has been integrated into OpenEMR since February, 2013. OpenEMR users can connect to the EMR Direct HISP (Health Information Service Provider) via the secure OpenEMR-to-phiMail edge-client channel. If you are interested in using these messaging features, please sign up at https://www.emrdirect.com/subscribe. Production accounts allow OpenEMR users to exchange Direct Messages on the DirectTrust network or with other trust communities of their choice.
- Sending: When enabled, a Transmit button will appear in the Continuity of Care Document section after selecting the Report link on the main patient information pane. Clicking the Transmit button will reveal the Recipient field. Enter a valid Direct Address in the box and click Send. The same interface will also appear in the Patient Portal.
- Receiving: When enabled, messages are processed and a new Patient Note is delivered to a specified user and appears in that user's Message and Reminder Center. Initially, these Patient notes are sent without an assigned patient.
- When the new message is opened, the administrator can review the message content and any attachments, assign the message to the correct patient by clicking "Patient: Click to select", assign a Type and forward the message on to the correct clinician or staff member.
- Full Documentation on this feature can be found here: